A little escape to where I can have fun with my love of design and whatever else may brighten my day...

Friday, August 27, 2010

Finders Keepers

After heading out with my roommate to pickup our dry cleaning, we decided to stop in a consignment furniture store within the same strip mall as the cleaners.  The store, Finders Keepers, has a pretty big collection of pre-owned sofas, dining tables, mirrors, headboards, lamps, pictures, etc.  I typically always see something I like, but don't usually buy anything as I would have no where to put it!  As soon as you walk in you are supposed to grab a discount slip.  This tiny piece of paper is color coded with discounts of the day.  So everything with an orange sticker is 30% off, blue is 10%, and so on.  The deals are pretty good and most pieces are in good condition.  No sooner than we made our way around the store, I noticed a wall of frames and pictures.  This one in particular caught my eye...

"Span Tritt" by Josef H. Plank

It's a painting on silk.  This photograph doesn't give the image much to favor, but the rich colors on the silk fabric are really nice.  I also did a little research and the artist is Josef H. Plank - he was born in 1815 in Triol, Austria where he was a historical and portrait painter.  This picture above titled "Span Tritt" was a painting of a famous Lipizzaner horse from the Spanish Riding School of Vienna.  I didn't find any other information really so I'm not sure the worth of this painting or any other historical references.  Regardless of it's worth to anyone else, I paid $28 (after my 30% discount) and now it's displayed happily on the wall in my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment