A little escape to where I can have fun with my love of design and whatever else may brighten my day...

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I'm an Idiot

So thanks to my roommate when I lived in Memphis (love you Rebecca!) who taught me everything I know about estate sales - I have turned into one of those people who checks out the local estate sale web site each week to see if anything looks good. And if so, you better believe I will wake up early the day of and head on over to see if my online find looks just as desirable in person - because if it does, I totally need it more than the next person right?! ha  Many times an item looks even better in person or the price tag is higher than I expected.  This time was no exception.  I arrived early one Saturday to a sale in Franklin.  My eyes scoured each room until I saw what I was looking for.  And it was this gold, mirror top coffee table.  Ahhh it was love...

My obsession at a local estate sale
But then I noticed the price tag - $1,100.  Really?  Really?  This is an estate sale people.  Aren't you just trying to get rid of things?  So another option was that I make a bid on the piece and stick it in the bid box.  If the item is still there at the end of the day then the seller goes through the box to see if they wish to take any of the offers.  Well guess what?  I got a call.  And you would expect me to be excited right?  Well I was a little nervous.  I made an offer less than half the asking amount but it was still pretty high.  And the piece weighed like 100 pounds and was way bigger than I thought so that's when my pragmatic side came out - I don't have a place to put this.  My storage unit is full.  Will I like it in two years?  Do I really need this? - so I never called the seller back.  I walked away empty handed.  Well let me tell you something folks.  When you see something you love for a hell of a deal - it's probably for a reason.  Because as I'm browsing Horchow's web site the other day look what I stumbled upon...

Mirror coffee table via Horchow
And we know, Horchow isn't cheap, nor is it poor quality.  Wow this homeowner had pretty good taste!  And I just lost out.  Oh well... I just need to remind myself of my own pragmatic advice!!  Or next time I'm just gonna go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment